Re: Uncaching downloaded attachments?

At Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:31:42 +0100,
David Maus wrote:
> At Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:01:31 +0800,
> James Harkins wrote:
> >
> > If I've extracted an attachment (saved to disk), is there a way within the wanderlust interface to remove the attachment from the mailbox cache? That is, since I saved it in a specific location, I don't need it redundantly taking up more space in the mail folder.
> >
> > I can always find it in .elmo/cache and delete, but that's a big inconvenience.
> >
> > Alternately, if there's a configuration option to prevent caching attachments, I'd be happy with that too.
>
> AFAIK there is no such option: The cached messages in .elmo/cache are
> copies of the original messages -- i.e. the raw represenation.  Once a
> message with an attachment is fetched in the cache it's there.

I see.

I might have fallen into the trap of asking how to do something specific, when maybe it would have been better to ask about the overall requirement :)

I have a Gmail label for communications with my students, including homework they sent to me (some attachments are quite large). I've got the attachments saved in a local folder and, at some point, I want to back up the messages (with or without attachments) and remove them from the Gmail server. (Then, syncing folders in wanderlust would remove them from the cache also, correct?)

Hmm... I suppose I could prefetch the messages, copy/refile them to a local folder and then 7z the local files from Maildir/foldername?

Or, I see a "gmailgarner" Windows utility that I could run under wine. That might be more stable wrt network than elmo.

Wondering aloud, not urgent, but I'll want to do this at the end of the semester.

Thanks!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world