Re: keep full local copy of imap

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:25:40 +0900, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
>
>> is there a shortcut hack to just keep local copies of all [imap]
>> messages?  i have about 6k imap folders with 5g of mail.  i want
>> to keep local copies, no discussion, as i fly too much and go places
>> with low bandwidth.  is there just a simple hack?
>
> Consider offlineimap:
> https://github.com/nicolas33/offlineimap
>
> And, if you like it there is offlineimap-el:
> http://julien.danjou.info/offlineimap-el.html
>
> Cheers,
> Jonathan
> --
> jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za
> has_one { :blog => "http://bloggroll.com"; }
> Reine, reine gueux éveille
> Gomme à gaine, en horreur, taie.

Yes, offlineimap is what I use. great for backing up mail/reading
offline. Though if you are interfacing the maildir directly with
wanderlust, you may want to consider setting up a local imap server
like dovecot to interface against, as I've found that interacting
directly with large mairdir can be slow if you have large folders.

Perhaps this isnt a problem if you use mbox? dunno...