sending emails through msmtp

Hi,
I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't get it to work:
How do I configure wanderlust to send mail trough a local msmtp installation (which is a drop in replacement for sendmail)? I tried setting all the wl-smtp-* variables to nil but to no avail. Wanderlust tries to connect to localhost:587, which is not what I expect it to do. My understanding is that sendmail is called directly for each mail, and is not listening at a port (Is this wrong?).
Any tips are appreciated!
Thanks,
Sebastian