Re: mime-w3m not loaded automatically

on Thu Jul 14 2011, David Maus <dmaus-AT-ictsoc.de> wrote:

> At Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:45:30 -0400,
> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>>

>> on Thu Jul 14 2011, "Herbert J. Skuhra" <hskuhra-AT-fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > instead of installing apel,flim,semi,emacs-w3m and wl by running
>> > configure & make install I have placed all directories in ~/.emacs.d
>> > and added the directories to the load-path.
>>
>> That won't work.
>
> Works perfectly:

Not in my experience.  It seems to work for a while, but WL (or apel,
flim, or semi, or all of them --- I can't remember) contains some
backward-compatibility elisp files that only get installed for older
Emacsen.  If you just put them in the load-path they will get picked up
instead of the more modern version in your Emacs installation and break
other things.

Plus you won't get WL's icons or info that way ;-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing