Re: Conversation View

At Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:46:57 -0800,
David Abrahams wrote:

> I just wrote an article about recent discoveries in my neverending
> quest to read my mail in the context of the entire thread:
> http://techarcana.net/2010/08/13/gmail-conversation-view-in-wanderlust/
> If anyone here has related feedback, hints, or implementation ideas,
> I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Hi,

I am on a similar move *away* from gmail, so I wanted to look into
this feature using dovecot alone. Here is some information about what
I found.

dovecot apparently has a (new?) feature called “virtual folders” which
allows one to replicate the “All mail” folder from Gmail, and
more. See:

  http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual

(Virtual folders also allow you to create virtual folders that
simulate gmail conversation view. See the above wiki.)

For search, dovecot also has two full-text search engines, squat and a
solr interface. solr seems to perform better, at the expense of full
IMAP spec compliance. squat works pretty well too. I was able to
perform a filter search (using both backends) for Message-ID or
References. The search was fast, especially with Solr, once dovecot
had generated all the indexes. (dovecot generates indexes on the fly;
it can be slow if it has been a while since you searched).

I think, at this point, that dovecot can largely duplicate gmail
features (fast search, an all mail folder, conversation view). It
would be great if WL could be modified to pull in all referenced
messages from an “all mail” folder so that one could see the complete
thread, not simply messages in the thread that are in the current
mailbox.

best, Erik