Inline images not displayed by default

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting the inline images in HTML mail to
display when messages are loaded. They show up when I C-x o to
the message view, then arrow down pass the header, and C-u T. But
that's a bit cumbersome for each message. w3m inline image
display works fine when I use it as a browser (M-x w3m). Here are
the (I think) relevant parts of my .emacs file:

(require 'w3m-load)
(require 'mime-w3m)
(setq w3m-default-display-inline-images t)
(add-hook 'wl-init-hook 'mime-w3m-insinuate)

Any ideas? Toggling the images does require C-u T, instead of simply
T. Is there one more option I should set?

Thanks a bunch!

Paul