Re: Some basic WL questions

Hi Peter,

At Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:11:00 -0400,
Peter Davis wrote:

> Hi. I'm just getting started with Wanderlust on Emacs 24 on OS X 10.6,
> mainly over SSH via PuTTY running on Windows. I think some of my issues
> are related to PuTTY, and others are not. By the way, I'm using IMAP
> (Fastmail.fm) for this.
>
> non-PuTTY issues:
>
> 1) Sometimes a mail message just displays two lines showing me that
> there are text/plain and text/html parts, but neither of the parts is
> actually displayed. The whole message just displays as:
>
> Any way to fix this so either text or html displays by default?

I assume in this case you have an empty text part of the message
(sometimes bad mailers do this). You can view the html content by
using C-c C-v C-c when the cursor is on the [2 <text/html; UTF-8
(quoted-printable)>] button. Maybe that will help.

> 2) I'd love to be be able to just read all my unread messages, in
> whatever folders, by repeating some key. (Mutt uses 'n' by default. 'N'
> (Shift-n) comes close, and would be ok.) Is there a way to set this up?
> Of course, for this to work smoothely, I need to get rid of the prompts
> to download the whole message (Yes) and to act on the marks in each
> folder I'm exiting (Yes.) Anyone know of such a customization (or set of
> them)? I looked through the customizable variables in the manual, but
> didn't see a way to do this.

For the first:

(setq elmo-message-fetch-threshold nil)

There is no config for your 2nd (auto-execute marks on buffer exit)
but you could redefine the wl-summary-exec-with-confirmation function
to not ask for confirmation.

> PuTTY issues:
>
> 1) Arrows in thread view are just drawn as "???" instead of line drawing
> characters. Is there a setting (Emacs or PuTTY) to get proper line
> drawing characters?

Try:

;;use regular chars for terminal session
(setq wl-thread-indent-level 2
      wl-thread-have-younger-brother-str "+"
      wl-thread-youngest-child-str       "`"
      wl-thread-vertical-str             "|"
      wl-thread-horizontal-str           "-"
      wl-thread-space-str                " ")

> 2) In some messages, I get space characters that just appear as a
> colored box. I assume this is some non-ASCII space character (e.g.,
> non-breaking space, em space, etc.), but I don't know, and don't know
> how to get WL/Emacs/PuTTY to just display this as a space.

I see this too, I don’t know the solution.

best, Erik
Sent from my free software system <http://fsf.org/>.