Re: SMTP port specification

On 24.11.2012 15:21, Haines Brown wrote:
I'm trying to migrate from mutt to wanderlust (Debian Squeeze). POP3
works OK, but I am having trouble with SMTP. Messages out don't get
authenticated:

 Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error
  "mail@historicalMaterialism.info/587 Name or service not known")
  signal(error ("mail@historicalMaterialism.info/587 Name or service
not known"))
  byte-code("... [smtp-server recipients id err smtp-sasl-user-name
  smtp-sasl-mechanisms wl-draft-write-sendlog failed smtp
  smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s"
  signal server mechanism user] 6)
  wl-draft-send-mail-with-smtp()
  wl-draft-dispatch-message()
  wl-draft-normal-send-func(#<buffer +draft/15> t)
  wl-draft-send(t)
  wl-draft-send-and-exit()
  call-interactively(wl-draft-send-and-exit nil nil)

In .elmo/sendlog I have:

  2012/11/24 08:53:44
  proto=smtp
  stat=failed
  server=mail@historicalMaterialism.info
  to=<gloria@gloriabrownministry.net>
  id=<87pq33ksyg.wl%Haines@Histomat.net>

The SMTP server I've been using with exim4 is
mail@historicalMaterialism.info::587. Isn't wl using exim? If so, why
do I need anything in .wl? If I remove .wl, I get the same error.

Wanderlust sees the server name instead as
mail@historicalMaterialism.info\587. Is this slash rather than colon
for the port the reason the smtp server is rejecting messages?

The 535 SMTP error above is usually name or password, but I get the
impression it can also be wrong port or service format.

At one time as part of debug I got:

  smtp-response-error 535 elmo-remove-passwd format "SMTP:%s/%s@%s"

and wonder if I need somwhow to define the format of the SMTP server
name.

When I use .wl, this is what I have:

  ;; mode:-*-emacs-lisp-*-
  ;; wanderlust