Re: Wanderlust, offlineimap & mu on ubuntu

Zip Random <ziprandom@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> after fighting my way through the scattered ressources about setting
> up wanderlust i know have a fairly usable mail-client inside emacs. i
> am using offlineimap to fetch my various accounts into a maildir
> structure and mail-utils (mu) for indexing and search.
>
> there are some things missing on the way to total delight and I hope
> to find some last answers on this list:
>
> 1. New Mails
>
> Do you use offlineimap with the idle function to get mails instantly?
> do you have some offlineimap hooks configured to refresh the
> folder-view on mail arrivals? i want new mails to popup in the folder
> and summary view immediatly without having to manually refresh the
> view. i think hooks are more elegant than cron-like refreshs. i also
> dont'want to refresh all folders, as this takes some 30s in my
> setup. generally how to you solve this issue?

I realize this isn't answering your question but if you're using mu, you
might want to consider using mu4e (mu-for-emacs) -
http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html.  To quote the website:

Through mu, mu4e sits on top of your Maildir (which you update with
e.g. offlineimap or fetchmail). mu4e is designed to enable
super-efficient handling of e-mail; searching, reading, replying,
moving, deleting. The overall 'feel' is a bit of a mix of dired and
Wanderlust.

It's written by the main author of mu.  I've been using it for a couple
of months after switching from wanderlust and it's great.  The manual
even has a full example setting up Gmail with offlineimap.  For fetching
new mail, there is a variable mu4e-get-mail-command that you can set to
whatever command you want to run to fetch your mail and it will run in
the background.

> 2. mu indexing, searching and virtual folders Do you have emacs
>  (wanderlust) configured to automatically run: mu index upon changes
>  to the maildir? in my setup I have to run it manually whicht renders
>  virtual folders ( for example: [flag:unread]!mu ) senseless. also:
>  when i use mu powered search in wanderlust i often/most of the time
>  get the error: Wrong Type Argument: stringp, nil

mu index gets run automatically after running mu4e-get-mail-command.  As
for searching, you can directly query mu through mu4e.

Hope that helps,
Chirantan