Re: mailcrypt by default

At Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:20:32 +0200, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
Subject: mailcrypt by default

> anyone know how to tell mailcrypt to encrypt by default if i have a key
> for the recipient(s)?

Mailcrypt.... hmmmm.... I haven't used that for a very long time....

I don't even seem to have it installed any more on the machine where I
usually run WL.

For use with WL I would recommend using semi's mime-pgp interface to
PGG, which is enabled by default (with `(setq mime-setup-enable-pgp t)'
and simply by configuring PGG as desired to make use of it.  PGG has
been included in Emacs, courtesy of GNUS, since 22.1.  If you wish to
try it I can send my PGG setup as an example.  It even works for
signing with different keys depending on the from address.

For mailcrypt, well the following still sits in my old ~/.vm file (for
use with ViewMail), but I don't know if any part of it actually enables
the behaviour you're asking for, and I haven't used it since last using
VM a very long time ago (2006 maybe?):

;; mailcrypt --- a simple interface to message encryption with PGP.
;;
;; Note:  elisp-file-in-load-path-p is a local function in my ~/.emacs.el
;;
(if (and (fboundp 'elisp-file-in-loadpath-p)
	 (elisp-file-in-loadpath-p "mailcrypt"))
    (progn
      (load-library "mailcrypt")
      (mc-setversion "5.0")             ; not using gpg
      (setq mc-encrypt-for-me t)
      (setq mc-passwd-timeout 1800)
      (setq mc-pgp-always-sign t)
      ;; XXX this should be auto-set using the current 'From:'
      (setq mc-pgp50-user-id (concat (user-login-name) "@" mail-local-domain-name))
      (setq mc-pgp50-fetch-timeout 60)
      (setq mc-pgp50-keyserver-address "pgpkeys.mit.edu")
      (setq mc-pgp50-hkpserver-address "pgpkeys.mit.edu")
      (add-hook 'vm-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
      (add-hook 'vm-summary-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
      (add-hook 'vm-virtual-mode-hook 'mc-install-read-mode)
      (add-hook 'vm-mail-mode-hook 'mc-install-write-mode)))

--
						Greg A. Woods
						Planix, Inc.

<woods@planix.com>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/