Re: "elmo-imap416 BAD UID SEARCH invalid argument" upon updating summary

At Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:13:40 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:

> At Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:35:02 +0200,
> Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> >
> > > [11:43:37] -> * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
> > > [11:43:37] -> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)] Permanent flags
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > [11:43:37] <-- elmo-imap416 uid search keyword $Forwarded
> > > [11:43:37] -> elmo-imap416 BAD UID SEARCH invalid argument
> >
> > Could you please try forwarding one message (to yourself), and see whether
> > this fixes the problem?  It should have the side effect of putting the
> > $Forwarded flag into the FLAGS list.
>
> That doesn't seem to help. I used WL to forward your message to myself, but the server still reports the existing flags as:
>
> [09:04:29] -> * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
>
> > (I don't have time right now to check the spec to see whether the server
> > is buggy or merely intolerant.)
>
> Whether the server is buggy or intolerant, wouldn't a possible
> solution be to issue the search only for the flags that the server
> specified?

I tracked down the error and pushed a fix for this issue.

WL was checking if the flag is available but the check worked with the
assumption that if the user can create arbitrary user-flags then one
can simply search for an arbitrary flag.

I fixed this by introducing a new configuration variable

elmo-imap4-strict-flag-availability-check

If this variable is set to a non-nil value then WL only reports a flag
as available if and only if it is listed in the FLAGS or PERMAFLAGS
response. The default value for this value is nil, i.e. the old
behavior.

Please see attached patch.

Best,
  -- David