Re: Warning (elmo): Please set `wl-message-id-domain' to get valid Message-ID string.

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 16:19:09 -0800, Erik Hetzner wrote:
> Possibly this?
>
>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.wanderlust.general/4664

You said in that message that "This warning message is printed when
wl-message-id-domain does not contain a dot (.). You need to set
wl-message-id-domain to “gmail.com”, not “gmail”."

Alas, no, I have the dot.

http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_38.html says:

"wl-message-id-domain
The initial setting is nil. If non-nil, this value is used as a domain part
of the `Message-ID:'. If your terminal does not have global IP address, set
unique string to this value (e.x. your e-mail address)."

I tried the email address trick, it doesn't work.

Confusingly, http://www.gohome.org/wl/doc/wl_38.html then says:

"wl-message-id-domain
The initial setting is nil. If nil, the return value of the function
system-name will be used as the domain part of `Message-ID:'. If system-name
does not return FQDN (i.e. the full name of the host, like
`smtp.gohome.org'), you must set this variable to the string of the full
name of the host. Otherwise, you might be beaten up on the Net News."

I'm not sure I understand this.

What puzzles me is why I get the warning on one machine but not the other.

Perhaps the real question is: is there any harm in not setting the variable?
If not, can we get rid of it?  That is, other than modifying
wl-check-environment so that it doesn't print the warning?