Re: privacy

Let me rephrase what I heard IESG saying, as sponsoring AD for this document. As IESG is cc:ed people can jump in and correct me, or add more/different things.

First IESG completely agree the issues with privacy is complicated. The laws and requirements in different countries are very different, and basically differ in for example the following ways for "white-pages information":

- Whether opt-in or opt-out in a public database is the function needed
- Whether the opt-in/opt-out is allowed to be implicit, or if it
must be implicit
- What information a registry can say is mandatory to allow being
public
- ...

These requirements which certainly differ not only between registries but also what legislation the registrant belong to is clear. In various communities discussions exists wether for example it is ok for the registry outside of Sweden to publicly publish social information about a domain name holder from Sweden if the registrant is a private person. The input I have got from lawyers in Sweden is that publication of such information in whois is not ok if not the registrant has explicitly said yes to it. And, competition legislation say it is not ok for a registry to require this (implicit opt-in) to get the service.

Of course, these people I have talked with can be wrong, but similar examples exists in Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands. This issue is discussed heavily in for example CENTR Legal group (I forgot the name of this group) because the "requirements" ICANN has put on whois and ccTLD is violating the local law in some countries.

These differences together with the requirement in RFC 3375 that the protocol MUST be able to handle the cases that one have:

- multiple registrars connected to one registry
- one registrar connecting to multiple registries
- one object being associated with other objects, possibly under
authoritative control of a different registrar
- one registry being thin, another thick (when looking at
where social information is stored)

These three rules are just some signs that the protocol MUST be something which is interoperable between multiple implementations, and this in turn lead to the need for multiple implementations which can handle the various permutations of legal rules for handling of the social information about a registrant.

Now, what IESG is concerned about is _INTEROPERABILITY_, not so much privacy.

Are you surprised? I hope not.

Now, IF the wg explain in the specification of epp how interoperability in the real world is guaranteed, then we are done. Interoperability in mixed environments when multiple different privacy models are used.

Does this explain the issue better?

paf