Re: RFC2279 to Standard

On torsdag, jan 9, 2003, at 17:10 Europe/Stockholm, Rob Austein wrote:

At Thu, 9 Jan 2003 09:39:32 +0100, Patrik Faltstrom wrote:
A version 3 of the draft is ready which will explicitly limit the IETF
UTF-8 version to 4 byte characters. This is because (a) we have never
before used UTF-8 for non-Unicode and (b) we can not find
implementations handling 5 and 6 byte implementations for the new ISO
10646 which have many more codepoints.
If the IESG think this decision is wrong, let me know now.
With the understanding that I am woefully ignorant on this subject, I
will nevertheless say that limiting IETF use of UTF-8 to a subset of
10646 sounds worriesome.  Please talk to Klensin about this if you
have not already done so; if it's ok with him, it's ok with me, but I
have a bad feeling that this is a very deep swamp....
I will check with him.

   paf