RE: IEEE 802.11f Request for RADIUS NAS-Port-Type and Service-Type value allocation (fwd)

RADIUS attribute values are indeed first come, first served, according
to RFC 2865 IANA considerations section.

However, in the past we've also typically at least gotten a statement
saying what the values (or attributes) actually *do*. In most cases this need
only be a sentence or two, so it's hardly worth making a big deal over.

But values for the Service-Type attribute are a bit different. They define
entire new uses for the RADIUS protocol.

In this particular case, a new use of RADIUS is being defined for
registration and management of Access Points, and an existing attribute
(User-Password) is redefined.

Use of the allocated values (and the IEEE vendor-specific attributes
defined to go with them) is contained within the IEEE 802.11f specification Draft
5, which is not publicly available now, and will not be available for free
until 12 months after publication.

Copyright is vested in IEEE, so that it would not be possible to republish
the specification, or even adapt it for use in Diameter, without
permission. That's why in the past IEEE 802.1 has published their MIBs
and AAA related work as Internet-Drafts.

Asking the IETF to allocate AAA parameters for an "extension" that cannot
even be reviewed by IETF participants for 12-18 months without paying a
fee is somewhat over the top.

I suggest we invite David Bagby, Chair of IEEE 802.11f to our IEEE 802.11
Liason conference call on February 3, 2003.

BTW, for those of you interested in reading it, I've made it available at:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/80211f.pdf