Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-xcbc-mac - The

In message <200301231709.h0NH9hq08672@cichlid.adsl.duke.edu>, Thomas Narten wri
tes:
>I'm a no ob, but have one nit:
>
>   tion.  The classic CBC-MAC algorithm, while secure for messages of a
>   pre-selected fixed length, has been shown to be insecure across mes-
>   sages of varying lengths such as the type found in typical IP data-
>   grams.  In fact, it is trivial to produce forgeries for a second mes-
>   sage given the MAC of a prior message.
>
>Might be good to include a reference to some of the work mentioned
>above.

There's no one great source -- the references I checked described it as
"well-known" -- but the nature of the attack is sketched in the
document's cite CBC-MAC-1.  (Aside: that paper says, up front, "CBC MAC
is secure" -- but buried in Section 5 is a description of this "well-
known" problem.  Mumble.)

You're right; it would help to include a pointer to section 5 in the
right spot of the i-d.