Re: Why MTA-level black listing bites [Fwd: NOTICE: mail delivery status.]

In message <3E331A0A.9020801@thinkingcat.com>, Leslie Daigle writes:

>--------------090102080206040501010304
>

>BTW, I can no longer send mail (directly, anyway) to SteveB.
>
>For reasons that are as shrouded in mystery as many of
>their decisions, SPEWS has elected to list both of the SMTP servers
>I have access to (work and home) on their blacklist.  The one
>at work is at an IP address that has been stable (and certainly
>not sending spam) for a couple of years.  Yes, the system administrator
>in both cases has attempted to get the machines off the SPEWS list.
>And failed.
>
> From the message below, it seems that AT&T Research's MTA categorically
>throws out all connections from SPEWS blacklisted IP addresses.  So,
>Steve is not getting my mail.

I'll forward your note.  And if you let me know the IP addresses, I'll
have the systems folks whitelist them.  I have little knowledge of or
control over what they're doing...  (A good backup address for me for
this sort of thing is smb@icir.org, which .forwards to me.  I usually
do not forward from my psg.com account; I only check it when I expect
someone to be trying a backup path.  Right now, that's active, though
my site seems to have recovered from this latest experiment in
exponential growth.)