FW: RFC bandwith, packet size and latency

This posting just appeared on the problem-statement mailing list. It seems to confirm that there's actually a disadvantage to renaming an I-D when it's accepted as a working group deliverable (makes it harder to track how long things take in the IETF).

Have we ever identified an ADVANTAGE?

In the working group chair training sessions, Steve Coya just says that "working group deliverable" isn't based on the name of the draft (it's a separate field in the database). He doesn't encourage or discourage the name changes.

Henning also points out the difficulty this creates for IPR searches and suggests that the RFC Editor could tie the versions together. This solves the IPR problem if you get as far as an RFC...

Any thoughts on whether renaming drafts is worth the effort?

Spencer