Re: Authentication and email

Same here. I have noticed an increase in spam using my ietf listing

RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>
Sent by: owner-wgchairs@ietf.org
01/28/2003 04:39

        To:     Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
        cc:     wgchairs@ietf.org
        Subject:        Re: Authentication and email

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> checking:
>
> were those SPAM mails, or were those VIRUS mails?
> we know that this has been a problem with virii, but so far, I haven't
> seen
> spammers using this deliberately.

Harald,

There definitely have been many non-virus spam messages sent out using
forgeries of one of my email addresses as the claimed source in the
From: line of the mail headers.  I have also seen non-virus spam
forgeries
using other IETF folks' mail address as the alleged source in the
From: line.

It is pretty clear that at least one spammer is using online archives
of IETF mailing lists as a place to grab From: information for their
header forgeries.  Sigh.

Ran