Re: WG Review: Enhancements to Internet email to support diverse service environments (lemonade)

At 5:01 PM -0500 1/29/03, John C Klensin wrote:

But my primary concern (and one of those on which Pete and I are apparently in agreement) remains: when I read "enhance...IMAP", I don't infer "narrow the protocol for use in this environment" or "specify a way to use the existing protocol to accomodate these needs". Instead, I infer "new feature", "new capability", and "putting more stuff into the protocol". I think there is considerable resistance in the community to making IMAP bigger -- while the four messages that have shown up on the list are not much of a sample, I observe that at least three of them have included "make it smaller, not larger" positions.
This raises an interesting point that may be in danger of being obscured. I think there is general agreement that IMAP is too complex. However, concepts such as "IMAP lite" (or even "IMAP light"), simplification, pruning, etc. can be understood in very different ways. It could mean simplifying interoperability by reducing options and eliminating permitted behavioral differences (especially among servers). It could also mean taking out commands and responses.

The former can be accomplished in an interoperable way; a new IMAP revision or capability could be defined which includes a number of previous options, and specifies varies behavioral aspects (along the lines of RFC 1123). Clients written to previous versions of IMAP would be able to interoperate with a new server just fine.

The latter, while making the protocol simpler and easier to understand and implement, risks being non-interoperable with previous versions.
--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal; facts are suspect; I speak for myself only