Re: ipseckey (fwd)

--On 31. januar 2003 13:00 -0500 Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> wrote:

The general problems of key management, and semantic content of the data
stored in the resource record is beyond the scope of this effort. This
effort is limited to syntactic issues only. Semantics of the contained
information is left to future deployment documents to define.
mumble, more about the definition of "syntactic" and "semantic" than about the intent, I think.
The WG definitely needs to define the semantics of the record in terms of "how do you take what's in this record and plug it into an initcall for IPSEC". I think it means to say that it's none of the WG's business when it is appropriate to do so.

Suggested alternate text:

The WG will define the semantics of the record only in terms of how
the data in the record can be used for initializing an IPSEC session.
Questions of when it is appropriate to do so are regarded as policy
issues that are out of scope for this WG.

when in doubt, speak plainly....

Harald