Whether we should require "IETF consensus"

Attempting to untangle some threads on this rather divergent debate....

We seem to have three different discussions going:

A - Is the IESG allowed to block publication of internet-drafts as RFCs if they make assignment in IANA registers where the rule for registration is "IETF Consensus", and the IESG determines that the IETF consensus is not satisfied?

B - What review process must the IESG take before taking the action to block or allow publication of such an internet-draft (ie "what does IETF Consensus mean")?

C - Given the debate about the specific documents, should the IESG have approved draft-aboulmagd-ccamp-crldp-ason-ext for publication?

To my mind, the answer to the first question is clearly YES.
When RFC 2434 was written, the "IETF Consensus" category was created because there were cases where any kind of "free-for-all" assignment was deemed harmful to the Internet - because of confusion, "name homesteading", resource depletion or too easy "labeled non-interoperability", or for other reasons - while each individual registration might be not important enough to warrant standards-track processing, be under the control of some other body, or be inappropriate for standards-track for other reasons.

There is clear, demonstrable harm to the Internet in these cases - in some cases, not in the individual request, but in the aggregate. The "IETF Consensus" mechanism is a tool that the community can use to give the IESG the power to defend the Internet against such harm. And the community has used it, as witnessed by the many documents using this mechanism.

The IANA follows the RFC-documented instructions on when to insert values into its registries, and IESG instructions on "IETF Consensus" registries.

Having a situation where an RFC documents something at variance with IANA registration seems absurd, so it seems unreasonable to me that the RFC Editor would publish an RFC documenting such an assignment, given that the IESG made the RFC Editor aware of the situation.
(Of course, that makes the position of RFC 2882, "extended RADIUS practices", which documents codes in use but not registered with the IANA, slightly absurd. We need to fix that, too....)

Rather than attacking the 2 other issues in the same mail, I'll follow up the second one in another message, and mainly leave the third one to subject matter experts - hopefully allowing us to untangle the abstract issues from the specific one....

Harald