Re: Speec I'm intending to deliver on Thursday

On onsdag, feb 5, 2003, at 03:18 Europe/Stockholm, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

see http://www.alvestrand.no/speeches/free-is-better.html

context: "POLITICS OF CODE - SHAPING THE FUTURE OF THE NEXT
INTERNET" - see http://pcmlp.socleg.ox.ac.uk/code/

main point is that mandating standards does not work (carrot, not stick, works better for standards adoption).

will be delivered verbally, so I can gloss over the missing dates.

For your interest....
Extra input:

[A] This is not ITU or IETF. This is about "standards will only be deployed if users start using them". IETF also have many (good?) things which are not deployed. But, at 100.000 feet, of course the ITU and IETF are running using different base views on things.

[B] Dog-food story. Governments and others can not only give out carrots, they should start taking the first bite using it, showing it is a good carrot.

paf