Re: DS status? (Fwd)

>----------------Begin Forwarded Message----------------<

Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:05:10 -0500 (EST)
From: "Olafur Gudmundsson" <ogud@ogud.com>
Subject: Re: DS status?
To: "Erik Nordmark" <Erik.Nordmark@Sun.COM>
Cc: "Randy Bush" <randy@psg.com>, "Olafur Gudmundsson" <ogud@ogud.com>

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Erik Nordmark wrote:

> So is the remaining issue(s) with ds-12 an issue about missing protocol
> magic, or just getting the text right?

The issue is "bad interaction with software that implements RFC2535".
DS-12 specifies that secure zone answers for a insecure delegation with a
referral containing NS and NXT records in the authority section.
One widely distributed implemetation looks in the message and sees the NXT
and thinks: DOES NOT EXIST proof.
This is done without looking into the NXT and can be used as DoS attack
against installed base.
Possible solutions include:
	renumber DNSSEC records or at least the NXT record
	Have different flag in ENDS header to indicate DS awareness and
	only then hand out the NXT.

I think renumbering the NXT is a better soluiton but this issue needs to
be discussed more, once this is decided I can update DS and we are done .
(how often have I said that ?)

	Olafur