Re: Comments on new draft-ietf-atomib-rfc2558bis-01.txt (Fwd)

Erik,

Several times during the multi-year process that led to
draft-ietf-atomib-rfc2558bis-01.txt the WG got comments
from individuals who were not satisfied with the level
of support for current European standards.  At each point
the individuals making those comments were requested to
propose specific changes to the text of the draft.
No such proposals were received, consequently no such
changes were made.  That history is readily available
from the atommib mailing list archives;  if you, or
other IESG members, want some backup for these assertions
let me know and I will be glad to provide either pointers
by date and thread or actual copies of the messages.

The MIB module as written does seem to enjoy significant
deployment (witness the five implementations reported)
and has met the requirements for advancement to draft
standard.  There is an urgent need to get the document
published in order to make official the enumerated
values for to sonetPathCurrentWidth that support
STS-192c/STM-64 and STS-768c/STM-256 paths.

It is always frustrating to everyone to get requests
for changes late in the process.  It is particularly
frustrating to WG participants when they are of the
form "you need to support standard xyz" but without
specific proposals for changes to the text.  It is
doubly frustrating when the WG has received such
comments in the past, asked the proponents to propose
specific changes to the text, and got no proposals.
My opinion is that the time for considering change
requests such as the one below passed long ago.

Thank you.

Mike Heard