Re: automating the network: the big picture...

[ cc:s with ralph's consent ]

> So, Randy, following up on your sage observation about the lack
> of a big picture for autoconfiguration...seems to me you hit the
> nail right on the head.  For a lack of a big picture and lack of
> a zoomed-out view of consequences, the IETF has been subjected to
> a series of proposals that, at best, are partial solutions and,
> at worst, simply shove a problem from one part of the
> architecture to another.
>
> Anyway, I don't know of anyone trying to take a more global view.
> Do you?  Maybe even something as simple as writing down "Unsolved
> problems in automated network configuration".  Doesn't sound like
> something the IETF can do - maybe the IRTF?  Any thoughts?

i think erik was looking at some of this, but am not sure i
remember the details well enough, so will let him speak for
himself.

steve deering wrote in the margin of a book that he had solved this
problem, but did not have time or space to write the complete
design down before he left for the airport.

vern, you wanna play with this one?

randy