Re: draft-aboba-radius-iana-00.txt

[note - I'm CCing Bernard]

mumble.

it does not solve the matter of the zorn appeal (but seems to assume that DynAuth will be standards-tracked, since it refers it - that's fine with me).

worse, it leaves the status of the numbers in 2882 unclear (and unlisted).

off-the-top-of-my-head suggestion for a resolution, since this document will be a standards action:

add a table, referencing RFC 2882, that says:

This document reserves the following packet type numbers, defined in [RFC 2882], and instructs IANA to list them in the registry of packet types:

6 Accounting Status
(now Interim Accounting [5])
7 Password Request
8 Password Ack
9 Password Reject
10 Accounting Message

21 Resource Free Request
22 Resource Free Response
23 Resource Query Request
24 Resource Query Response
25 Alternate Resource Reclaim Request
26 NAS Reboot Request
27 NAS Reboot Response

29 Next Passcode
30 New Pin
31 Terminate Session
32 Password Expired
33 Event Request
34 Event Response

50 IP Address Allocate
51 IP Address Release

These have no meaning defined by an IETF standards-track protocol, but are reserved until an IETF standards-track protocol defines a meaning for them.
They will not be handed out in response to new requests until the set of numbers is exhausted.
This is being done to avoid interoperability problems with software that implements nonstandard RADIUS extensions that are or have been in use on the Internet.

Note that codes 40-44, which are also listed in [RFC 2882], are defined in [DynAuth].