VGRS, again <sigh> (fwd)

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 18:23:30 -0800
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@equinix.com>,
        "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com>,
        Rob Austein <sra@hactrn.net>
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <phoffman@imc.org>
Subject: VGRS, again <sigh>
Cc: Geoff Huston <gih@telstra.net>,
        Patrik =?iso-8859-1?Q?F=E4ltstr=F6m?= <paf@cisco.com>
Hi again. I assume that Geoff has told you that VeriSign intends to
revise their protocol to get around some of the problems that the IAB
brought up in your message to ICANN. However, from reading VeriSign's
response, they still will be running a name-guessing service instead
of a lookup service. Specifically, the last step they describe still
takes you to a list of colliding names and ask you in an HTML form to
pick the one you really wanted.

If the IAB is going to respond to ICAN on this, and you want help in
describing yet again what the problem is, and I can help, let me
know. If you want to avoid what seems like a denial-of-service attack
on the IAB by VeriSign for their profit, I would completely
understand.

- --Paul Hoffman, Director
- --Internet Mail Consortium

------- End of Forwarded Message