Re: axfr-clarify's fraudulent claims of consensus

> bert hubert writes:
> > Much of your criticism boils down to the fact that you do not have a
> > zone concept and do not want to have one, where 1034 and 1035 simply
> > ooze with zone definitions and they are clearly part of the DNS philosophy.
>
> It's amazing how many errors you can pack into one paragraph. Facts:
>
>    * My software has zones. It simplifies them for the user, by taking
>      advantage of the RFC 1034 database-consistency requirements.

	Your software (and BIND 8) causes operational problems by not
	preserving zone contents.

	By incorrectly merging data from child zones you can prevent
	a master from sending correct data.  You can also prevent slaves
	from sending the correct information.  You require administators
	to worry about silly timing issues.  You require administators to
	detect when the timing was wrong and update the serial numbers
	on zones just to get it retransfered with the original information
	because the server couldn't keep the zone contents seperate.

	Senario 1.

	Server 1 master for example.com and slave for division.example.com.
	division.example.com has been updated on it master to have
	new delegation information, the zone has not yet refreshed
	on server 1 for some reason.  You receive email with the
	new delegation information.  You update example.com adjusting
	its serial.  You reload example.com.  You expect the new
	delegation to be advertised in the outgoing zone transfer.
	This doesn't happen because the server messed with the zone
	contents.

	Senario 2.

	Server 1 master example.com
	Server 2 master division.example.com
	Server 3 slave example.com and division.example.com
	Server 4 slave example.com using server 3 as a master.

	Server 2 the delgation infomation for division.example.com is
	update and the parent zone is informed.   Server 1 is updated
	to contain the new delegation information.  Server 3 receives
	the updated parent zone before the updated child zone and
	notifies Server 4 which transfers example.com WITH THE OLD
	DELEGATION INFORMATION.  Both masters were updated to have
	the new delegation information but it doesn't get distributed
	to all the servers.

	You want the IETF to believe that this is *correct* AXFR
	behaviour.  This doesn't pass the giggle test.

	This is a common implemention error caused by trying to
	stuff all zones into a common database.  BIND 4 got it
	wrong.  BIND 8 got it wrong.

	You want us all to keep repeating this mistake.

	All that is being asked is that the data in AXFR is preserved
	so that it can be used as the data source of another AXFR and
	as a dataset to which IXFR deltas can be applied.  If you want
	to merge the zones for non AXFR requests go ahead.

	In otherwords what is entered as the zone data is what is
	transmitted as the zone data.

	I was very much aware of this issue when I was working as
	a systems administrator for CSIRO years before I started
	working for ISC.  We had to make regular sweeps of the the
	CSIRO.AU heirarchy to detect and clean up the errors caused
	by nameservers incorrectly merging zone contents.  I got
	very tired of having to explain to all of the different
	system admins what the problem was and how to "fix it" by
	incrementing the serial number and getting the zone
	re-transfered.

	Mark