response to ops reviewer on draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg

>From Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se  Tue Feb 18 06:41:39 2003
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:41:22 +0100
To: Scott  Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>
From: Reiner Ludwig <Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se>
Subject: Re: a comment on draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-alg
Cc: Michael.Meyer@eed.ericsson.se, Reiner.Ludwig@eed.ericsson.se,
   mankin@psg.com

I would argue against the view of the ops-dir reviewer:

* This is only a detection algorithm that does not alter TCP sender nor
receiver state. Thus, no danger here.

* When used together with a response algorithm, e.g.,
draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-eifel-response-02.txt, this is a different story. I
don't know what the reviewer means with "take out the session". But
clearly, by manipulating ACKs at the TCP receiver or by a flow-state-aware
box in the middle, congestion control at the TCP sender could be pretty
much disabled. So, one could argue along the lines of the ops-dir reviewer
when combining the Eifel Detection algorithm with a response algorithm that
alters TCP state. On the other hand, we know (see Savage paper in ACM CCR,
Oct. 99) that even a "standard conformant" TCP sender's congestion control
is easily disabled. So, why be extra strict here?

This is actually a relevant issue for the mailing list. Since, if we would
follow the ops-dir reviewer's suggestion, we raise the bar quite high also
for the alternative schemes like F-RTO and DSACK-based schemes. Those
should then also be comparably safe against misbehaving TCP receivers, I think.

///Reiner