Re: "IETF consensus" in IANA considerations [was Re: Last Call:CR-LDP Extensions for ASON to Informational ]

--On tirsdag, februar 11, 2003 19:45:04 +0700 Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> wrote:

IETF Consensus is the IETF's way of agreeing to some action.   The IETF
makes that decision, the IESG (currently anyway) is tasked with
determining whether or not the IETF has actually made a decision.   IETF
Consensus clearly requires a last call be made.   It does not (of itself)
require publication of anything at all - publication may be made to
record the consensus, it does not cause it, and is not required to obtain
it.
Given that a large portion of the IETF does not in fact subscribe to the ietf-announce list, and that in some cases the IETF consensus is pretty obvious (for instance when the decision is just paperwork following up on another IETF consensus decision), I wouldn't even say that a Last Call is always required.

But it's certainly one tool, and a fairly powerful one, for getting objections out in public.

(now, does the recent DJB discussion of axfr-clarify by itself invalidate WG or IETF consensus? I think not.... but it's certainly input that has to be considered when determining the IETF consensus.)