RE: Telechat agenda topic: Does an IANA maintained MIB require an RFC?

>If I wasn't aware of what's happening, [publishing the IANA-maintained MIB
>only on the IANA web page and not as an RFC] would violate my principle
>of least surprise - having discussed a MIB for years, the RFC suddenly pops
>out with no MIB in it.

On the other hand, I'm looking for the IANAifType-MIB -- is
it better for me to find RFC 1573 with values 1-54 defined,
or the version on the IANA web page with values 1-220?

>Besides, IANA web pages don't (yet) have the tradition of immutability and
>wide availability that the RFC series has.

The non-immutability is exactly the point of having the IANA maintain it.

  Bill