From: iesg-admin@ietf.org [mailto:iesg-admin@ietf.org]On Behalf Of
Wijnen, Bert (Bert)
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 3:07 AM
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand
Cc: iesg@ietf.org; iana@iana.org
Subject: RE: Telechat agenda topic: Does an IANA maintained MIB require
an RFC?

Inline

> >> If I wasn't aware of what's happening, [publishing the IANA-maintained
> >> MIB only on the IANA web page and not as an RFC] would violate my
> >> principle  of least surprise - having discussed a MIB for years, the RFC
> >> suddenly pops  out with no MIB in it.
> >
> > On the other hand, I'm looking for the IANAifType-MIB -- is
> > it better for me to find RFC 1573 with values 1-54 defined,
> > or the version on the IANA web page with values 1-220?
>
> If I'm on the Stockholm-Bangkok flight, and looking for the style of
> interface MIB definition, or what the "sip" interface value means (it's
> SMDS :-), it's certainly better for me to find RFC 1573 in my
> RFC-archive-copy than to wait for the plane to land and look for the next
> available timeslot with network access to do the work.
>
> OTOH, if I'm looking for value 77 (lapd), RFC 1573 will be
> useless to me.
> So I'd say "it varies".

I am going to start to make sure that whenevern an IANA maintained
MIB shows up in an RFC, that we add a clear statement (probably
in the description clause) that states that it is only the
initial version and that the authoritative version is at the IANA
site, with a URL included.

> >> Besides, IANA web pages don't (yet) have the tradition of immutability
> >> and  wide availability that the RFC series has.
> >
> > The non-immutability is exactly the point of having the IANA maintain it.
>
> note: at the moment I can't find "the MIB repository" at
> http://www.iana.org/ or ftp://ftp.iana.org/.... I found the
> "ianaiftype-mib" file in the "assigments" page. There is no
> "mib" directory.
>
> some aspects shouldn't be mutable.

Well, they have always been in the assignments directory.
Are we saying we'd like to see a subdir in assignments that
is just for mibs?

Bert