limiting reading load

Let me restate a proposal I mentioned in passing in December:  let's
cap the number of pages on any one telechat's agenda.  This call's load
is preposterous -- about 585 pages, by my calculations, much of which
wasn't scheduled until about a week ago.  There's no way we can do
careful analysis on that much material.

Let me suggest the following algorithm.  We set a cap at, say, 300
pages.  (We'll adjust that number with experience.)  And it will be
arbitrarily adjustable by the chair after the usual groveling.  After
the first I-D that takes us over the limit, the read list for that call
is closed; further documents go to the head of the queue for the next
call.

If we want, we can scale the page count by the lead-time -- pages that
are marked for reading two weeks in advance count for less than ones
that show up on Friday.  Returning documents count for much less.  Etc.
But if we go too far down that path, we'll need a protocol definition
and a MIB...

Forgive me -- I'm grouchy this morning for lots of reasons, not nearly
all of which are attributable to how late I was up last night reading
I-Ds or to my wife's situation.  But as I said, I first made this
suggestion in December.  (I'd suggest adding it to the agenda as a
management item, but I'm not convinced we're going to get to that part
of the agenda today...)