Re: limiting reading load

In message <200303061458.h26EwhjG005245@rotala.raleigh.ibm.com>, Thomas Narten
writes:
>One real question I have. If we view this is a simple queuing system
>problem, we have a rate of incoming new documents of X pages per
>week. If we limit the service the IESG provides to Y < X words per
>week, we're in trouble.
>
>Do we even know that the average weekly rate of new words is below 300
>pages? I wouldn't even assume that...

You're right, of course, and before we set the actual number we should
do a bit of crunching of the last year's worth of agendas.  And we
could also make the threshhold dynamic -- say, 300 (or whatever the
number is) plus some fraction of the number of pages carried over.

My immediate goal isn't to reduce our workload (though that would be
nice, too); I'm trying to level it and smooth the peaks.