RE: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-sonet-sdh - Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching Extensions for SONET and SDH Control to Proposed Standard

So Steve to the Discuss and I would point him to where to look
to see if there are indeed security issues.

As far as I understand it:

- This document just defines a few extra RSVP-TE objects to be
  send in RSVP protocol messages over the control channel
- It also defines a few extra CR-LDP TLVs to be send in CR-LDP
  protocol messages over the control channel
- It defines how each end of the protocol exchange should compose
  the objects/tlvs and how to deal with them.
- So these are GMPLS-for-SONET extensions to the base GMPLS
  documents, specified in RFC3471 (functionality) RFC3472 (CR-LDPR)
  and RFC3473 (RSVP_TE).
- Those original documents build on the original RSVP-TE and CR-LDP
  So, they have
  - in RFC3471 they point to RFC3212, RFC3209 for security
    considerations.
    - RFC3212 (CR-LDP) basically points back to LDP (RFC3036) for
      security considerations, and that RFC3036 indeed has an
      extensive security considerations section (in sect 5.
      some 2.5 pages)
    - RFC3209 does peak about some extra security considerations
      for RSVP-TE which come on top of the base RSVP (RFC2205)
      which has security (quite extensive) considerations in
      sect 2.8.
  - in RFC3472 they point back to base CR-LDP (RFC3212) for
    security Considerations
  - in RFC3473 they actually do somewhat better in that they do
    go into details on how to run things in a secure way.
    They also point back to RFC2747 for original RSVP
    Cryptographic Authentication.

So I think they have it pretty well covered.
It is kind of tough though to find exactly all the security
considerations.

Steve... I suspect you may need a bit of time to check all this.

Thanks,
Bert