Re: draft-ietf-ppvpn-requirements

--On torsdag, mars 06, 2003 20:40:40 -0500 Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com> wrote:

5.9 There is text about how customer security measures must not hide
QoS information from the SP.  That's very wrong.  At least, if it's wrong
if they mean "you must show us port numbers".  But more fundamentally,
it says "a security solution deployed by a customer must not hide
information...".  I don't think this document should be specifying that
sort of requirements for customer behavior.
this is a generic issue - we've been over this in relation to diffserv and ipsec a number of times - I think the right language is something like

"If the customer deploys a security solution that could hide information that normally would be used by the SP in providing QoS, it is the customer's responsibility to make sure the information is made available to the SP if the customer wants to take advantage of QoS features at the SP".

the case language below actually fits quite well with stating it like that.

If I don't want my SP's QoS, I shouldn't have to care about accomodating it.

(btw, it's fun to see "replay attack" listed as a high level security service :-)

Harald