Changing Roles at the IETF Secretariat

Steve Coya has been IETF Executive Director for these past 12 years. Recently, he and I have been talking about his assuming a business development role within Foretec. Effective immediately, Steve will relinquish the role of Executive Director of the IETF and assume the role of Foretec's Director of Business Development. Barbara Fuller, a senior Foretec staff member, will become Acting Executive Director of the IETF. Of course Steve will be available to aid in a speedy and smooth transition.

I want to thank Steve for his significant contributions over these past 12 years. He has shepherded the IETF from the time when only a few hundred people attended a meeting to today when between 1500 and 3000 people attend. Twelve years ago there were around 60 active Working Groups. Today there are approximately 140. During his tenure he has overseen the Secretariat's handling of tens of thousands of Internet-Drafts that have wended their way through the process, resulting in over 2000 RFCs.

Please join me in thanking Steve for his contributions, and when you see Steve in San Francisco please wish him success in his new position.