Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:41:13 -0800
From: "Mark Handley" <mjh@icir.org>
Subject: nssim BOF report
To: iab@iab.org

BOF Report from Next Steps in IP Mobility (nssim)

BOF Proposal: form two groups to replace the existing Mobile IP WG:
Mobile IPv4, and Mobile IPv6.  Also possibly form an IRTF RG.

MIPv4 WG charter work:
  Primary focus: deploymment-related activity.
  care and feeding of IPv4 base protocol
  VPN
  MIB
  Dynamic home agent assignment?
  Home agent reliability?

MIPv6 WG charter work:
  Optimisations of the base protocol.
  reliability of home agents
  bootstrapping v6 SAs
  alternatives to RR based RO
  hierarchical MIPv6
  Fast hand-overs.
  MIB

Possible IRTF RG?
  enable comparison of research results
  simulation of mobility models and protocols
  NOT: radically new architectures for IP mobility

It was very unclear from the meeting how the IRTF RG really related to
the WG and to the routing research group.

The discussion that followed wasn't terribly productive, and mostly
focussed on details. There wasn't strong opposition to the proposal,
but there also didn't appear to be obviously strong agreement.  The
chair asserted that there was consensus on at least the v4/v6 split,
but without polling the room.  The consensus wasn't obvious to me.

There was some discussion of splitting the work further into more WGs,
with more specific tasks.  There was slight consensus against doing
this.

My personal opinion (this not being my area) was that there is still
enough in common between the two charters that the split risks
unnecessarily doing different things for v4 and v6, although this
could be avoided by careful WG management.