Re: WG Chairs Training

> This, though, is exactly the type of issue that hits on the
> question I raised a couple of messages ago -- to what extent
> do we want to encourage consistent WG-internal processes?
> And, what does it make sense to leave up to the personal
> style and choices of the WG chair?

IMO, consistency is generally good. But we also need flexibility.

At a minimum, it would be good if folk understood the issues related
to process issues, and how poor implementation of internal processes
has led to plenty of real process/WG problems and how better execution
of internal processes can really help to avoid such problems. Giving
examples of the kinds of problems that can and have occurred is often
illuminating, especialy when folk don't have so much direct experience
themselves.

Armed with such a background, we also need to allow chairs some
flexibility in tailoring internal procesesses to the specific
situation of individual WGs.

What needs to be clear though is that it is the responsibility of the
chairs to minimize process problems, with failure to do so having the
obvious unfortunate consequences.

Thomas