Re: Comments on draft-ietf-mobileip-mipv6-ha-ipsec-04.txt

Here's an initial text proposal to address the
issues raised by Bernard:

1. Care-of address source vs. use of HAO. Here I added first a new
   paragraph to Section 3.2:

     "Note that there are tradeoffs in using care-of addresses as the
      gateway addresses versus using the home address and attaching an
      additional Home Address destination option and/or Routing header
      to the packets. The basis for requiring support for at least the
      care-of address case has been discussed in Section 7."

   And then in Section 7 the first paragraph has been expanded into
   the following text:

     "We have chosen to require an encapsulation format for return
      routability and payload packet protection which can only be
      realized if the destination of the IPsec packets sent from the
      home agent can be changed as the mobile node moves. One of the
      main reasons for choosing such a format is that it removes the
      overhead of twenty four bytes when a home address option or
      routing header is added to the tunneled packet. Such an overhead
      would not be significant for the protection of the return
      routability packets, but would create an additional overhead if
      IPsec is used to protect the tunneling of payload packets to the
      home agent. This overhead may be significant for real-time
      traffic. Given that the use of the shorter packet formats for
      any traffic requires the existence of suitable APIs, we have
      chosen to use the shorter packet formats also for the protection
      of the return routability packets.  (Note that packet formats
      and header ordering discussed in Section 3 must be supported,
      but implementations may also support other formats. Some
      implementations may therefore also support the protection of
      payload packets using the home address as the gateway address.)

      In order to support the care-of address as the gateway address
      on the mobile node side, the home agent must act as if the
      gateway address of a security association to the mobile node
      would have changed upon movements. Implementations are free to
      choose any particular method to make this change, such as using
      an API to the IPsec implementation to change the parameters of
      the security association, removing the security association and
      installing a new one, or modification of the packet after it has
      gone through IPsec processing. The only requirement is that
      after registering a new binding at the home agent, the next
      IPsec packets sent on this security association will be
      addressed to the new care-of address."

2. The API and where it should be used. Here I added the following
   text to the end of Section 4.3:

     "Such gateway address changes can be implemented, for instance,
      through an API from the Mobile IPv6 implementation to the IPsec
      implementation.  It should be noted that the use of such an API
      and the gateway address changes MUST only be done based on the
      Binding Updates received by the home agent and protected by the
      use of IPsec. Address modifications based on other sources, such
      as Binding Updates to the correspondent nodes protected by
      return routability, or open access to an API from any
      application may result in security vulnerabilities."

3. Tunnel source address discussion. I added the following to
   Section 3.2:

     "For a discussion of the role of source addresses in outer tunnel
      headers, see Section 5.1.2.1 of [RFC 2401]. Note also that the
      home agent requires the packets to be authenticated regardless
      of the source address change, hence the "new" sender must
      possess the same keys for the security association as the it had
      in the previous location. This proves that the sender is the
      same entity, regardless of the changes in the addresses."

4. Section 4.2 and single vs. multiple SAs and the "unequivocal"
   requirement. I simply added "to protect the Binding Updates"
   in the following text:

     "In order to do this, the security policy database entries MUST
      unequivocally identify a single security association for
      protecting Binding Updates between any given home address and
      home agent when manual keying is used. When dynamic keying is
      used, the security policy database entries MUST unequivocally
      identify the IKE phase 1 credentials which can be used to
      authorize the creation of security associations for protecting
      Binding Updates for a particular home address."

5. The SHOULD for RR tunnel mode protection and whether there's an
   alternative. I added the following note to Section 1:

     "Note that where this document indicates a feature MUST be
      supported and SHOULD be used, this implies that all
      implementations must be capable of using the specified feature,
      but there may be cases where, for instance, a configuration
      option disables to use of the feature in a particular
      situation."

6. Main-mode preshared secret IKEv1 difficulties even when the
   home address is static. I added this to Section 4.4:

     "Note that the difficulties with main mode and preshared secrets
      in IKE version 1 are well known for dynamic addresses. With
      static addresses, there has not been a problem. With Mobile
      IPv6, however, the use of the care-of addresses to run IKE
      towards the home agent presents a problem even when the home
      address stays stable."

7. Section 4.4 and IDci = HoA in Quick Mode. Here I reformulated
   the text to the following:

     "However, the IPsec security associations with the mobile node's
      home agent use home addresses. That is, the IPsec security
      associations MUST be requested from the key management protocol
      using the home address of the mobile node as the client
      identity."

8. IP-in-IP vs. tunnel mode. Still working on this.

These changes are also on the web at

    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/drafts/mipv6haipsec.txt
    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/drafts/mipv6haipsec.html
    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/drafts/mipv6haipsecdiff.html

Bernard's comments have been filed as issue #284 at

    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/MIPv6-Issues.html

Jari