Re: XMPP Compatibility

I think my take on this is somewhere between 2 and 3.  I would say that
we achieve the best result in this current space if we ensure that
there is _at_least_one_ mandatory to support message format
with _at_least_one_ mandatory to support mechanism to ensure
data integrity and _at_least_one_ mandatory to support mechanism
for end-to-end encryption.    Supporting more than one message
format/data integrity mechanism/end-to-end encryption mechanism
seems very, very likely given the place in history we find ourselves;
realistically, I think we should accept that and move on.    In the mean
time, though, I believe that we should expect that any compliant
IM system should be able to handle  the mandatory-to-support
message format (no matter whether from some other IM system or
from a sibling in its own system), that they should be able to check
the data integrity of that message if it has been assured, and that it
should be able to handle the encrypted message if the mandatory
support form has been used and keys or secretes
 have been appropriately exchanged.

I suspect this means CPIM's MSGFMT using text/plain and S/MIME
as a common denominator.  I've gotten three separate threads on this
topic just today, though, so I have no fear that someone will expose
my ignorance if I am off base here.
						regards,
								Ted