Re: XMPP Compatibility

Eric,

it's been fun watching you and Jon reconstruct the five years of arguments behind the IMPP strategy (transport/content split, end-to-end security, consistent semantics across systems) in a few short messages.

You've certainly touched on many of the points that have made me say that Marshall Rose's "let them fly independently" argument is wrong, and that we do need messaging systems that don't need content-transforming gateways.

But in the final analysis, discussing this in the IESG and IAB won't carry the day; in the end this argument has to be carried to the XMPP list.

Have you been there with it?

Harald