Re: U.S. Homeland Security dept, ICANN, and the root servers

Steve Bellovin wrote:
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0403/040103td1.htm
"Obviously, ICANN and NTIA ...have a play in this. But when we look at it as it relates to homeland security's new information-protection piece, [the Homeland Security Department] has a play in it as well," Schmidt said.

"What we want to do is look at the role ICANN has to play and how it relates to the day to day operations of what we are doing. They are working on an annual basis as opposed to a ... real-time basis," he said.

I admire such unilateral expressions of over-arching exclusive interest,
and I guess I should be grateful for the US government being so helpful in
wanting to run the Internet. Somehow 'grateful' is not what springs to my
obviously alien and foreign mind, but I'm sure I will be informed of the error
of my ways sooner or later.