draft-dasilva-l2tp-relaysvc-06.txt

                    Yes    No-Objection  Discuss *  Abstain
Randy Bush          [   ]     [   ]       [ x ]      [   ]

yes, i know i used to be a no-ob.  but an ops-dir reviewer wants
to point out the appended.

randy

---

Can you have a standards-track document based which in some sense
extends and support a protocol (PPPoE) that's documented as an
Informational RFC?

I'll repeat a comment I made on the L2TP list (I think) months (a year?)
ago about some other attempt to extend PPPoE.  How about someone work
on L2TP on Ethernet MAC?  It was the absense of this particular combination
which prompted the work to produce PPPoE in the first place.  I can see
the irresistable urge to make use of the extensibility of L2TP to make
just about anything possible, but there may be a more sound solution
by just "doing" L2TP on Ethernet and getting it out there starting
adoption.  A moderately clever implementation could even support both
protocol on the same port for transition.

PPPoE was one of those 80%/20% sort of things; never intended to solve
all the worlds problems.  This, of course, hasn't stopped people from
trying.