Multipath (Re: draft-coene-sctp-multihome-03.txt)

seems to me that we need to branch briefly into architecture here.

in the Internet architecture:

- an address does not determine a path. The path can change, and will often change in response to failures.

- the sharing or non-sharing of paths between two destination addresses that "end up in the same place" is unknown and unknowable to the sender for all hops beyond the first hop.

- nevertheless, sometimes some legs of the path can be different for two destination addresses, and there is presumed to be some set of failures that will affect one path and not the other

- given that set of failures, and the presumption that it is significant, the approach of SCTP's multiaddress feature makes sense

- one can do operational things that increases the count of possible failures that affect one path and not the other

- and that's what this document should say