-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Falk [mailto:falk@isi.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 1:48 PM
To: wgchairs@ietf.org

Hi-

There was a thread a few weeks ago where the topic of mailing list
sizes came up and it occurred to me that no one really has a good idea
of the typical size of IETF mailing lists.  So, I asked the working
group chairs to send me the size of their lists.  I also received some
list sizes from helpful folks who host mailing lists, not the least of
which was Brett at Fortec who submitted info for all the ietf.org
lists.  Some of the information I received was for the same lists and
if they differed I selected the smaller list as some folks were able
to subtract inactive subscriptions.

Caveats to consider when looking at this data include:

  - There are inactive/broken subscriptions included in some counts,
    anecdotally this can be as much as 20% of the total.

  - Some subscriptions are lists themselves, hiding an unknown number
    of readers.

  - Not all wgs are listed here. I only listed what I receieved.

  - Some lists here are not working groups, some are expired working
    groups.  I've included the notes that I've received.

This is cleaned up data with no analysis.  Draw your own conclusions.
I'm including the data twice, sorted by size and by listname.

Enjoy,

--aaron