Re: BGP vs. 2385 draft

Bert,

Wednesday, April 9, 2003, 2:24:15 AM, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
> Mmmm.. the new abstract (as suggested by Alex) says:

>    The IETF Standards Process requires that all normative references for
>    a document be at the same or higher level of standardization.  RFC
>    2026 section 9.1 allows the IESG to grant a variance to the standard
>    practices of the IETF.  This document explains why the IESG is
>    considering do so for the revised version of the BGP-4 specification
>    that is being considered for publication as Draft Standard and
>    normatively refers to RFC 2385, "Protection of BGP Sessions via the
>    TCP MD5 Signature Option", which is staying at the Proposed Standard
>    level of maturity.

> I wonder about the "is considering do so".

should be "is considering TO do so", btw

> I think by rthe time this doc gets published, we have considered it and
> decided. So WOuld the abstract not be better to say:

I thought it would be misleading for the ID containing the request
for variance that we are soliciting community input for through the
IETF LC to say that we've already done so.

We can, of course change the text to reflect the history during
author-48 period.

Alex