Re: Sending text on Re: Access control on the IETF web

So, since there hasn't been much discussion on this text
as a way forward, I've put together a straw set of guidelines
for the IETF web site.  Many of these are cribbed from
Harald's, but a few are sufficiently different that they may
warrant separate discussion.

Harald asked me to send text; here's a first cut.

The IESG will develop a set of guidelines for updates to the IETF web.
The Secretariat will be responsible for updates to the IETF web, and
it will use the set of guidelines provided to determine whether specific
proposed updates are or are not acceptable. The Secretariat may
at any time check with the IESG for clarification of the guidelines.
Anyone who proposed an update and was refused may request the IESG to
review the decision.

DRAFT
Guidelines for Changes to the IETF.ORG web site.

All changes are accomplished via mail to ietf-action@ietf.org.

Any change to the structure of the IETF.org web pages
which would have the affect of removing or adding
categories not currently included in these guidelines
should be approved by the IESG.

Changes to a working group's charter page may be requested
by the working group chair; where there are multiple chairs,
any chair may make a request.  No confirmation is needed
if the change updates milestones, contact addresses, or
external sites.  Confirmation by the responsible AD is required
if the "Description of Working Group" text changes.  Working
group chairs may, with the consent of the responsible
AD, designate a different working group participant
as responsible for the update of these pages.

Any Area Director can request a new page be added to the
area under http://www.ietf.org/iesg.html.  Any change
to that area which is not proposed by an area director
should be confirmed with the IETF Chair.  Any decision
to remove a page currently supported in this area must
be confirmed either by the area director who requested
it or the IETF Chair.

The Nomcom chair for any particular year may request
changes to the Nomcom area of the IETF web; these
changes are explicitly not subject to the confirmation
of the sitting IESG.

The Secretariat is charged with keeping the
Internet-Drafts, Meetings, Proceedings,
Mailings Lists, Documents in Last Call, and IPR
statements areas of the IETF web up to
date.  They may change the form of those
areas as needed to keep those up to date;
they may also add information to those areas
at will.

Any member of the IETF community may suggest
changes to the Additional Information pages.  If
the Secretariat is unsure of the appropriateness
of a suggested change, it should seek guidance
from the IESG.

Suggestions for additions to the working group chairs
area may be made by any member of the working group
chairs list, any area director, or by the initiative of
the Secretariat.  If the Secretariat is unsure of the
appropriateness of a suggested change, it should
seek guidance by the IESG.

Changes to the "Internet Standards Process" area
require explicit IESG action.

Changes to the "Joining the IETF area" require
the community to change the nature of the IETF....

Folks,

the WG Chairs' FAQ was placed on the WG Chairs web page without anyone
being asked if that was appropriate; it was even placed as if it had
been an IESG document.

I think that's wrong.

I suggest that we make the following rule:

- The secretariat does what the secretariat does; maintain the pages
they are responsible for, suggest changes to pages for which they are
not, check when in doubt.

- An IESG member can ask for a page to be added or changed. No limits;
if we do something wrong, we handle that internally.

- Anyone else asking for some new page to be added gets that question
sent to the IESG. The response should be one of:
- No
- Yes, but ask again every time a change is asked for
- Yes, and the author can send in updates when he wants to
(and the page identifies who the maintainer is)
It's OK to put up the page with no links to it before asking the IESG,
so that the ADs can look at it.
First AD to respond wins; some pages are definitely some specific AD's
interest, so we shouldn't require an IESG consensus for this.

- The IESG can request changes to ownership.

- This text gets formatted and put somewhere on a Web page :-)

Makes sense?

Harald