draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt

make this a discuss

From: ops-dir
To: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>,ops directorate <ops-dir@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:58:52 -0400

At 09:23 PM 4/11/2003 -0400, Randy Bush wrote:
>*****  o IPv6 Global Unicast Address Format (Informational)
>            <draft-ietf-ipv6-unicast-aggr-v2-02.txt>
>         Token: Narten, Thomas
>         Note: An IETF LC call is needed, as this reclassifies RFC 2374
>         historic.; last call expires 2003-04-08.

my concern with this note is that at the top of page 3
the diagram implies that there is a single global
routing prefix, followed by a subnet id.
the text says that the global-routing-prefix is
typically hierarchically structured, which implies
that it is not a single global routing prefix but
has some internal structure, with higher and lower
levels of prefix and so on and so forth. it _might_
be nice if the authors were to do a bit of text editing
and try and get the diagram to say the same thing (eliminating
the implication in the diagram that there is exactly 1 prefix).

also, the text and diagram sort of imply that there is one level
of 'subnet id' that would be available to a 'site'. this is
not completely true. my isp may allocate me a /32, leaving
me 32 bits to play with which i may in turn make hierarchical
allocations out of.  again, some text twiddling might be nice
here.